Monday 7 July 2014

Concerning Airports...

This upcoming sojourn of mine means a lot of time spent in airports, bus stations, and on trains/planes/automobiles. While I'm planning on whiling away the hours with the help of a couple books, a knitting project or two, and my music, but I also need to consider how to pass any significant amounts of time while waiting around for a flight etc. And then, as if on cue, this video comes across my Facebook feed today:

I especially like #6 - Military Training. I will unfortunately be alone most of the time, so no wheelchair races for me (unless I make a "new friend" like in the video lol).

Another way to pass time in airports is to sleep. I'm not a big sleep-in-public type of person, but sometimes a nap is called for. There's actually a website devoted to this: Sleeping in Airports. Its great because people rate and leave comments about how "sleepable" an airport is and where the best spot to grab 40 winks is.

List of Airports I'll be flying into/out of:

  1. Calgary, Canada
  2. London Heathrow
  3. London Gatwick
  4. Cork, Ireland
  5. Dublin, Ireland
  6. Oporto, Portugal
  7. Malaga, Spain
  8. Casablanca, Morocco
  9. Marrakesh, Morocco
  10. Madrid, Spain
  11. Frankfurt, Germany
  12. Vancouver, Canada!

I've arranged my flights in such a way that I hopefully will not have to sleep in any of these airports, but life has a funny way of throwing curveballs at you. Hmm.

What's your favourite way to kill time in an airport?

1 comment:

  1. I spent 8 hours in the airport at Madrid. It was hellish. I slept on a floor near an outlet while charging my iPod. I can fortunately sleep in public places, but I prefer to put my hood up to hide my face. Otherwise, Madrid was an annoying airport to spend time in—there was very little to do (shops or otherwise) and every time you wanted to go outside, we had to go through customs. So I have like 4 or 5 stamps from 'entering' and 'exiting' Spain on the same day. I've always wanted to be in an airport that rented out beds by the hour.
    Heathrow is great. Lots of shops and places to eat. I actually had a sit-down restaurant meal. It made me feel human again.
    Another thing that made me feel human during our long flight connections was going into a wheelchair accessible bathroom (the kind with the sink inside with the toilet) and having a 'bird bath'. Washing myself with my facecloth and putting on fresh underclothes, shirt, and socks.

    ReplyDelete